On May 1, 1887, passenger service was opened on the railroad line from Altenhundem to Schmallenberg. In Gleidorf, however, one had to wait more than two years until finally on November 15, 1889, the connection to the "big, wide world" was realized with the extension from Schmallenberg to Fredeburg. It was not until October 1, 1911 that the further connection into the Ruhrtal to Wennemen came into being. A line through the Hochsauerland to Bad Berleburg was also planned, but was not realized due to the outbreak of war in 1914. In addition to passenger traffic, the station's freight traffic mainly served the slate mining industry in Nordenau and the shipping of agricultural products from the upper Lenne valley as well as, with one siding each, the companies Falke from Schmallenberg and Schlinkert & Störmann, later only Schlinkert.
The timetable period summer 1953 showed passenger trains on Sundays for the last time. Subsequently, operations were reduced to three pairs of trains per weekday. Unfortunately, a rationalization by means of rail buses, as practiced on many other railroad lines in Germany, was omitted. The remaining traffic was handled by buses. From the 1960 summer timetable, the passenger train service was reduced to one pair of trains per day, in the morning in the direction of Altenhundem and in the afternoon to Wenholthausen. In 1960, the station was also closed. After the scheduled passenger service was already discontinued on May 30, 1964, the freight service then ended on December 31, 1994. Part of the old station building is still used today as storage space by the neighboring Raiffeisenmarkt. The SauerlandRadring was laid out on the old railroad track when construction began in 2004 and opened in 2007.
Picture 1: Gleidorf with its railroad facility below around 1938 (Photo: Haymo Wimmershof Collection)
Picture 2: The train station of Gleidorf in the mid-1930s (Photo: Franz Fleischer, Schöppenstedt)